Restoring Resilient Reefs Act of 2019
This bill addresses the conservation and sustainability of coral reef ecosystems.
Among other things, the bill
- reauthorizes through FY2024 and revises the Coral Reef Conservation Program;
- directs the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to provide block grants to states to support state coral reef management and restoration;
- requires NOAA to establish standards for the formation of partnerships among government and community members for the stewardship of coral reefs;
- provides statutory authority for the U.S. Coral Reef Task Force to lead, coordinate, and strengthen federal government actions to preserve, conserve, and restore coral reef ecosystems;
- requires the Department of the Interior to provide grants upon the declaration of a coral reef emergency to implement emergency plans; and
- authorizes Interior to provide scientific expertise, technical assistance, and financial assistance for the conservation and restoration of coral reefs.